Sunday, February 17, 2013

Missing Home

Before I get into this post, I think I should make it clear that I am having a great time down here and I'm still really glad I came. However, I think it's to be expected that some days I'll be more homesick than others.

Today was definitely one of those days. I'm not normally one to sulk, but I think the "honeymoon" phase of my adventure is beginning to wear off. I don't want to say the day was wasted, but I just needed to be alone with my thoughts today. I think being here has made me realize how important home really is. I don't just mean home in the literal sense, but I mean home in an all encompassing way. 
Being in a new place makes it hard to depend on the little things that made home, well, home. All the things I've known and grown accustomed to are gone. I can't go for a walk by the river when I need to clear my head. I can't call Kayla to go for a run and chat. I can't have Meg and Kayla over to drink wine, make crafts, and eat our weight in expensive cheese. I can't have breakfast dates with Tasha on Sunday mornings. I can't fill the cupboards with cereal and fridge with milk for Braiden when he's coming home from work. I can't escape real life and go to the farm to get pampered by mom and dad when I'm having a bad day. I can't make new memories with Alex. I can't sit at home and knit on the chaise lounge with a purring cat and watch bride night on TLC. I can't go  over to Mormor and Beste's for coffee and cookies in the afternoon. I can't go to Grandma's on Friday nights when I need family time...the list goes on and on.

But there's no sense being down in the dumps unless you can learn something from it. And what I've realized today is how lucky I am to have so much at home that I miss; it would be much more unfortunate not to miss home.
Making this realization not only makes me excited about coming home to all of these wonderful things, but it has given me a new appreciation for the closeness that I share with all of the people that make home so special to me. Being here has really affirmed how strong my family values are, and how important my family and friends are to defining what home means to me. I miss all my friends and family so much, and I am so looking forward to being back with all the people (and critters) that have shaped my life at home.

Love you all!
xoxo
-Elle the (wish-I-was-back-in-the-North) Belle



No comments:

Post a Comment